Thursday, June 24, 2010

Awesome Things Volume XXI

A couple of things my granddaughter said to me while I was on vacation. Her birthday is coming up so I asked her how old she will be. She replied, "I will be six years old". "How old will you be on your next birthday, Pa Paw"? I replied, "I'll be sixty years old". She said, "Sixty years old? Does that mean you get a walker"?

On the last night of vacation I asked her if she was ready to go back to the day care. She replied, "I don't want to go back to the daycare. I love being on vacation"! I know how she feels.

Just being alive. Earlier this week I visited a funeral home. The next morning I saw a nasty looking car accident on the way to work. Yes, my back hurts today. Most mornings I wake up feeling like the Tin Man before Dorothy found his oil can. I still have to work full time. It's hot as hell outside, but I am alive, working in an air conditioned office and listening to the Dave Matthews Band on my Ipod. Life is not perfect but it is good and I am alive. Don't take life for granted. So what if it is occasionally a pain in the butt. The reality is that most stuff in life is an inconvenience, not a crisis. Be happy that you are alive.

A contented life. I have weathered many storms in my life and I am sure there will be more to come. I think it is true when they say, "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". All storms eventually pass and between them life is often calm. As I have gotten older I have learned more and more the value of a calm and peaceful life. Young people often want adventure and excitement in their lives. Older people are usually content with much less adventure and excitement. We still like it but we don't need it 24/7. This week I will be in Chicago at an all day rock and roll event where I will be reminded that I am not as young as I used to be. At some point I will probably wish I was home, sitting in my chair, doing nothing but feeling very content.

Bagels. I love toasted bagels. A few nights ago I stopped at Panera Bread and bought some Asiago cheese bagels and some cinnamon crunch bagels. When they are toasted and buttered, with a fresh cup of coffee, life is good.

Rain. There's a good chance that it will rain today. I will like that. I'm a little tired of the blazing sun and high 90 degree temperatures, plus my flowers will get a good soaking.

No comments: