Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Life Goes On

The poet Robert Frost sums up life in three words. It goes on. These three simple words also sum up very well my particular part of the great adventure and mystery called life. I am trying to minimize my life and pare it down to that which is essential. What is essential may be no more complicated than working, resting, and playing, with a little intellectual activity thrown in to keep what's left of my brain from completely shutting down. At this time I have little desire for anything but the essential. I love the simple and uncomplicated life. I do not need challenges or excitement to be fulfilled. When the time comes for retirement from necessary work, the transition to an old man who putters around the house and wanders from room to room will be an easy one for me.

In the eternity that is now I still feel like a busy man and life remains chaotic. The home front is still in the midst of remodeling and updating. I expect my kitchen and laundry room to be gutted and emptied this week as new cabinets are installed or built and new appliances replace the old ones. I like order in the universe but in my home a "Big Bang" is creating a whole new universe. It is nerve racking at times living with the chaos and the unpredictability of contractors but it will be worth it in the end. If you take the construction out of my life, all is relatively calm. Hopefully all the work will be completed by the end of the month and my life will go on in a more peaceful and less stressful environment.

No comments: