Thursday, May 06, 2010

Awesome Things Volume XVI

The week didn't start off awesome. This past Monday I had a hot flash on the way to work that made me feel like I was going to pass out. Then I absent-mindedly got off on the wrong exit forcing me to alter my route. When I got to the parking garage someone was using a jackhammer on concrete and you know how wonderful that sounds early in the morning. However, as soon as I got out of the garage the sun was shining bright, the air smelled clean and fresh, and there was a cool breeze. All of that was awesome.

A new day. Yes, a new day is a big deal. Many people who were alive yesterday are not getting a new day today. As cliqued as it sounds, each day really is a gift and a new beginning. Most problems don't seem as bad in the morning as they do at night. A new day is full of possibilities. Today, for example, there is a possibility that the contractors I have working on my house will actually show up. There was a time in my life I could not hire people to do my work because I had no money. Now I have a little money and no one wants to work. But it's a new day and I am hopeful that I will see some work accomplished when I get home tonight. If I don't the workers will feel the wrath of my wife. Trust me. That's a scary thing.

Positive People. I once wrote an article about how energy is exchanged whenever we encounter and interact with another person. Sometimes you can almost feel it. After every human encounter we either walk away feeling good or feeling bad. Have you ever been feeling down and then one of your co-workers makes you laugh or gives you a few encouraging words and you walk away feeling better? On the other hand, have you ever interacted with another person who sucks the life right out of you with their negativity or "woe is me" mentality? When I have encounters like that it feels like the life force is ebbing out of me. I imagine this is how Superman feels whenever kyptonite is in the room. Positive people put out positive vibes and make those around them feel better. It can be a simple act. A kind word or a smile can totally change the direction of another person's day for the better. However, whenever I see a negative person who is always complaining I want to run in the opposite direction or hide under my desk. What type of person are you?

The end of the workday. You can love your job and generally enjoy your day and still be thrilled when the workday is over. I admit that I need structure in my life and working is better for me than I care to admit. Most days it is a reasonably enjoyable experience. It's not enjoyable like sitting on a beach with a pina colada or being in a Corona beer commercial, but rarely unpleasant. Whether it's a good or bad day, I always feel a sense of relief when I am finally back in my car and putting the key into the ignition. Some days I think, "Thank God I am out of there"! Many other days, however, I feel like I did some good and I earned the rest and relaxation that awaits me at home. I know some of you still have young children at home and may not have this luxury. I'm a person who believes in the importance of balance. You wouldn't appreciate daylight as much unless you also experienced darkness. Without work, or some other kind of activity, leisure can get boring. Many times when I sit next to elderly, retired men on a bench at the Mall, they tell me how much they miss work. Whether you are working or retired, you need a sense of purpose and a reason to get out of bed each morning. Most days I don't mind coming to work but I never mind leaving either. 8-)

Dancing with my granddaughter. It should be no big surprise to anyone that I am not a very good dancer. My granddaughter, however, loves to dance so sometimes we dance together. She loves Chuck Berry. If you don't know who Chuck Berry is, ask your parents. He's the Father of Rock and Roll. Chloe will sometimes ask me to "put on some rock and roll, Pa Paw". As soon as I do she will start dancing around and "get her groove on". It cracks me up.

My granddaughter, Chloe, is in Kindergarten this year. As any of you with children this age know, you don't necessarily get to go to school in your own neighborhood. This year Chloe was fortunate enough to go to a school near where she lives. Of course, this whole school year her parents have been sweating whether or not she will get to stay there for the rest of her elementary level schooling. The good news is that her parents got a letter yesterday telling them that she does. I hope if any of you are in the same situation you also got a letter with the results you wanted. I can't believe that Chloe is almost six years old. I cannot remember life before she existed.

No comments: