Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Like You Just The Way You Are!


My granddaughter came over for the weekend. Chloe is a very normal five year old. However, despite her young age, she is the most loving person I have ever known. She worships the ground I walk on. No one in my entire life has ever made me feel as loved as she does. She's very affectionate and is always telling me that she loves me. Last night when my wife asked her if she should buy me a wig to hide my baldness, Chloe reached over, hugged me, and said, "I love you just the way you are"! Anyone not moved by such a gesture of love and affection would not be moved by anything. This morning, while she was sitting on my lap and watching a movie called "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", we talked about love and how everyone wants to be loved. Although she is very young, she knows well what love is. I can't imagine anyone not wanting others to love them. Certainly in my life there are many people who love me. I'm sure most people are loved by someone. Still, many people, including me, often feel unloved. I revealed this to a co-worker recently only to find out she felt the same way most of her life. Why do so many people feel unloved? I think it goes back to something I read and wrote about several months ago. One kind of love doesn't work for everyone. Some feel loved by the actions of others. Others need affection and verbal expressions of love. Many love gifts while some simply prefer the attention and presence of their beloved. Love is like many things in life. There is no "one size fits all" version. It can't be bought off the rack. It must be tailor made to fit the need of the beloved. If you feel unloved, or perhaps frustrated because your overtures of love don't seem to be working, you may need to change your approach. Love is usually not the problem. It's how you express it.

No comments: