Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Oneness In The Corporate World

Yesterday I spent my entire day attending a Corporate Conference. Normally I dislike these types of events. They are often loud, crowded, and filled with activities that make introverts like me want to hide under the table. Yesterday I spent much of my day trying to be invisible. For the most part I succeeded and, thankfully, no one forced me to do anything embarrassing. Admittedly, much of the day was the same old stuff, i.e., how we're doing as a company, how much progress we have made, etc. It's not that I don't care about these things. I am just a person who doesn't like being bombarded by charts and graphs and data. However, it's part of the business world so I accept it. The highlight of the day for me was the keynote address by a man named Lance Secretan. His address was basically an overview of a book he has written called "One...The Art and Practice of Conscious Leadership". He had my attention right from the beginning when he began with a film of a jam session with Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. I was immediately seduced by the music and I found myself yearning to see the complete performance. His talk progressed and included references to Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Descartes, Walt Whitman, and St Francis of Assisi. How could I not be impressed with someone who weaved music, philosophy, and spirituality into a presentation for a Corporate gathering of leaders within a Fortune 200 company? Later in the day we were all given a copy of his book and I am eager to read it although I am not in need of anything else to read! I am already overwhelmed with reading. If the book is as good as I think it will be, I will probably be sharing parts of it in future writing. In a nutshell, the book is about what he refers to as the CASTLE Principles. CASTLE being an acronym for courage, authenticity, service, truthfulness, love, and effectiveness. It should come as no surprise that most of these are not frequently discussed or even encouraged in the workplace. Maybe a new day is dawning. With the daily news about what is happening in some of our largest and most prominent institutions and corporations, a new day is long overdue.

No comments: