Saturday, April 18, 2009

Does Anyone Need A Hug?

One of my friends told me I need to practice hugging people. The world is divided into those who hug and those that don't. My best friend from high school is not a hugger, at least with me, but my friend Father Dennis is. I consider both of them to be very close friends and they are important people in my life. I have two other close friends who are women. One I have never hugged and the other hugs me every time she sees me and occasionally she throws in a kiss. I like that she does that. I guess I am a discriminating hugger. Sometimes it feels very comfortable and other times I cringe. You can always tell a genuine hug. The best hugs are warm and a true human connection is felt. On a global, hands across the water, we are the world kind of way, I want to love everyone. The reality is that I am not yet capable of loving everyone. There are people I love, people I like, and many I simply tolerate. I easily and quickly feel a connection with certain types of people. It doesn't matter if they are a man or a woman, or if they are gay, straight, black, white, yellow, or red. There are a few people in my life that I have only met a few times yet I feel very connected with them. I am very comfortable hugging anyone when whom I feel a connection. Basically, I am an affectionate person and I need affection from others. Somewhere I read that a person needs a certain numbers of hugs everyday to be psychologically happy. I love to hug my granddaughter and others that I care about and I like when they hug me back. Affection is not only a good thing. It is a necessary thing for human fulfillment.

No comments: