Saturday, February 07, 2009

The Ice Age Is Nearly Gone

When I left the office yesterday it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day. Before going to the hospital to visit my Dad I made a stop at Border's Book Store. It is my favorite store because it has every material thing in life that I want. The store is full of books and music and movies and coffee. While I was there I bought the new book by the Dalai Lama entitled "Becoming Enlightened" as well as an excellent collection of some of John Coltrane's music. Admittedly, some of Coltrane is difficult for me to absorb. He has music that can only be appreciated by other musicians. Frankly, some of it is too far out there for me. The collection I bought has more accessible songs like "My Favorite Things". One of his albums/CD's that I highly recommend, however, is "A Love Supreme". So at least part of my day yesterday was spent driving around in the sun with the cool and jazzy saxophone sounds of John Coltrane inside my car.

Today is another in what promises to be a string of spring like days. As I sit here, the window is open and a cool breeze flows into my room. Outside it is 59 degrees, the sun is shining, and the wind is blowing. For the first time in over a week what I mostly see is the ground. Only the most hardened and large piles of snow and ice remain. I can actually walk out my front door and go to my car without taking my life into my hands. There will be even more sunshine in my life in a few hours when I go get Chloe. She is coming over to spend the night which she usually does every other weekend. Tonight we will watch "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa". I bought it for her at Target last night. I also slipped a DVD of a 1977 concert by The Who into the cart. I jammed on that this morning while my wife was still in bed.

No comments: