Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Love Every Minute Of The Day

Although I am not a fan of getting out of bed on someone else's schedule and I am very weary at the moment, I love every minute of the day. Getting out of bed is tough but I love a new day. I love my quiet time in the early morning when I drink my first cup of coffee. I like the early morning drive to work and my walk through the park next to my office, especially if the sun is rising in the eastern sky. Some days I even love my workday. Even though I sometimes enjoy my workday, what I always enjoy is when it is over. It feels great to get in my car at the end of the day and breathe a sigh of relief as I drive to my wife's office and wait for her. After arriving home and having dinner, sitting in my chair is a blessing. My evenings are enjoyable as I read, watch the news, listen to music, catch a movie, or nap away. Finally, at the end of a good day, my bed feels great. Yes, I love every minute of the day.

Recently, I re-discovered an obscure song by the rock band "The Who". The song is called "Blue, Red, and Grey" and is from the CD called "The Who by Numbers". The lyrics reminded me that I share Pete Townsend's feelings about the joy of the everyday.

Some people seem so obsessed with the morning,
get up early just to watch the sun rise,
Some people like it more when there's fire in the sky,
worship the sun when it's high.
Some people go for those sultry evenings,
sipping cocktails in the blue, red and grey,
but I like every minute of the day!
I like every second, so long as you are on my mind,
Every moment has its special charm,
it's all right when you're around, rain or shine.
I know a crowd who only live after midnight,
Their faces always seem so pale,
and then there's friends of mine who must have sunlight,
they say a suntan never fails.
I know a man who works the night shift,
he's lucky to get a job and some pay,
and I like every minute of the day.
I dig every second,
I can laugh in the snow and rain,
I get a buzz from being cold and wet,
the pleasure seems to balance out the pain.
And so you see that I'm completely crazy,
I even shun the south of France,
the people on the hill, they say I'm lazy,
but when they sleep, I sing and dance.
Some people have to have the sultry evenings,
cocktails in the blue, red and grey,
but I like every minute of the day!
I like every minute of the day!
-Lyrics by Pete Townshend

1 comment:

Bird said...

I was looking for Pete's song, and I found your post. Great sentiments, and I agree, there is much joy to be found in the simple things of a good day! ;^)