Saturday, January 31, 2009

Looking Out My Window


Today the sun is shining and the sky is blue. It is 22 degrees and snow and ice still cover the trees and bushes and ground in my neighborhood. For the first time this week I can now see part of the street in front of my house. Amazingly, I have survived the week...so far...without losing my power. Normally, if a person in my neighborhood sneezes, everyone loses power. When it rains, everyone loses their cable. OK, I am being a little facetious but the reality is that my old neighborhood is a little fragile. In spite of everything it is a beautiful day for me. The reflection of the sun on the ice coated tree limbs splinters the light into prism like rays. The really for many, many people in Kentucky and my city is not so beautiful. Thousands and thousands of people are still without power and heat. Several thousand utility workers from around the country are here working tirelessly trying to repair fallen telephone poles and downed power lines. It is very dangerous work made extremely difficult by the tangle of wires and tree limbs, most of which are covered in ice. Whatever amount of money these people earn, it is not enough. The picture above is not actually the view outside my window but it is typical of the view most people have in Kentucky.

No comments: