Sunday, December 14, 2008

Being Pa Paw


After a nice long sleep on Friday night, my wife, son, and I went to pick up my granddaughter, Chloe, on Saturday morning. She was coming to our house for the weekend. Feeling brave, we decided to take her to the Mall. That turned out to be a little stressful. Twelve days before Christmas the Mall is a bustling place with thousands of people. My biggest fear was that Chloe would get away from me. However, being a vigilant grandfather, she was never out of my sight. The Mall can be a wondrous place with its sights and sounds and smells. Although I sometimes have mixed feelings about the Christmas season, overall I love this time of year and the wonderful spirit and excitement that fills the air. I pushed Chloe around in her stroller and we took in all the sights around us. Before leaving we stopped and got some hot pretzels. They were very tasty as my wife, son, Chloe, and me sat on a bench and consumed them as people moved all around us in all directions. Later in the day, after dinner and when darkness has fallen, we drove around some local neighborhoods and looked at Christmas lights and other holiday decorations. Chloe loves doing this and gets very excited. Pa Paw likes it, too.

Early today, Sunday, about 7:30 AM, Chloe informed me that it was daylight outside and that it was time for us to get up. As we continued to lay in bed, she informed me that her Mommy and Daddy do not like to get up early. We then agreed that her grandmother does not like to get up early either. "Only Pa Paw's like to get up early", she told me. After getting up we went downstairs and made my coffee. She scoops the coffee and I pour the water. After the coffee was made we went into the living room and watched the "SpongeBob Squarepants Christmas Show" followed by two viewings of the traditional and very old "Frosty the Snowman". In the busyness of the weekend I forgot to take any new pictures but I am still including a picture from one of my favorite Pa Paw moments. When Christmas Day arrives I'm sure I will have new photos to share.

After taking Chloe home so she could see her dog, Cosmo, and, of course, her parents, my wife, son, and I went to see "The Day the Earth Stood Still". I had to see this remake since the original was a childhood favorite. The original was better although I liked the new version, too.

Now it is Sunday night. I will soon read the morning newspaper. The trash is gathered for me to take to the curb. The dirty laundry will wait till tomorrow. I must also get myself psyched for another work week.

No comments: