Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thomas Merton And The Dalai Lama

Anyone who has read my thoughts for any length of time knows what an influence Thomas Merton and the Dalai Lama have been on my life and thinking. In Louisville there is a famous intersection where Merton had an epiphany and spiritual awakening that changed his whole way of looking at the world. There is an historical marker near the intersection commemorating the event. Less than a block away, near the Cathedral of the Assumption, a banner has been permanently displayed to commemorate another significant event in Merton's life. Shortly before his death in 1968, Merton met a then young Dalai Lama. There is a famous photo of this meeting that has been circulating for years. The banner that has been displayed is an enlargement of this photo. Earlier this week was a small dedication ceremony for this new memorial. I checked it out on Friday and it was great to see two of my spiritual mentors starring down at me.

No comments: