Sunday, October 26, 2008

Finally....A Truly Restful Weekend!

This weekend, and especially today, have been truly restful. There were no little people in my house this weekend. Other than visiting my Dad yesterday, I had nothing that I needed to do. I slept in both days. I had nowhere to go and all day to get there. This morning I got out of bed at a decent hour, came downstairs, and brewed some Seattle's Best coffee. While it was brewing I walked outside for my Sunday newspaper. It was a cool morning and I knew there was promise of a beautiful day. At some point I put yesterday's chili back in the crock pot because chili is always better the second time around. I also did a few loads of laundry. Some people hate doing laundry. I actually enjoy it. While the chili simmered and the washing machine hummed, I read a few chapters from "Surprised by Joy" by C.S. Lewis. It was a very old edition, published in 1955 and had a price on the cover of $2.95. Where can you find books that cheap anymore? The early part of the book deals with Lewis's childhood and the forces and events that formed him. I found all this very interesting as I have an acute curiosity bordering on obsession with the circumstances of my own childhood and formative years. I've had a lifelong interest in unraveling the mystery of who I am and why I act and think the way I do. As the day got long, and the shadows lengthened outside my window, I decided on a rest from the rock and roll I was listening to and I simply sat in my chair, staring out the window, while Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" lifted my soul with its odes to Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. My son, Nick, also called this afternoon. He arrived safely in Washington D.C. He's there to visit some graduate level colleges in the Washington and Baltimore areas. Next year he will likely continue his seminary training at either Catholic University in Washington or St Mary's Seminary in Baltimore.

No comments: