Monday, July 21, 2008

The Ups And Downs Of Life

Well, here we are on another Monday. Where does the time go so quickly? I am moving a little slow this morning. I am sunburned and I am sore from acting like a four year old with Chloe plus I feel like I didn't even sleep last night. Once again I had a busy weekend. Much of Saturday was spent lounging around the pool of a friend. I don't have many opportunities to do this and Saturday was the kind of hot day that makes a pool very inviting. Pitchers of frozen margaritas increased the enjoyment. If it wasn't for the medications I must take everyday and the fact that I am usually the driver for other people, I could easily live in Margaritaville and be a neighbor to Jimmy Buffet. The time around the pool and being with friends was very relaxing. As you might gather there was plenty to eat, from poolside snacks to an awesome meal with pork tenderloin, boiled shrimp, potato salad, corn on the cob, and salad. After hours of lounging about I slept like a baby on Saturday night. I woke up very refreshed although I was moving very slow. I knew round two would be happening in a few hours when Chloe arrived. I was volunteered to take care of Chloe while my wife and Chloe's parents went to the Homearama. They were going to see homes that I couldn't afford if everyone who reads these thoughts gave me all their money. Chloe kept me hopping. At one point Chloe found my blood testing paraphernalia and said "I need to test your blood sugar, Pa Paw". I had no choice but to go along with it. She knew exactly what to do. She pretended to prick my finger, squeeze it so a drop of blood appears, and then hold a test strip in the tester up to my finger. It blew my mind that she knew how to do it. The only downside to this was that she wanted to do it 500 more times throughout the afternoon. Later in the afternoon she helped me make brownies and my homemade Stouffer's Frozen Lasagna. When everyone got home I fed them and sent them on their way. The rest of the evening was spent recovering from the weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go visit my father so I'll try to get that done tonight. There's so much to do, so little time.

Routine is a double edged sword for me. It can be boring but I also need it in my life. I have learned over the years that I need some structure in my life. I long for the freedom to do whatever I want when I want but when I have too much freedom, and sit around too much, I start to turn into a vegetable. Of course, being human means that you often want the opposite of whatever you have at the moment. Busy, working people, who may also have the demands of a family, long for a break. Many times when I have been sitting on a bench at the mall talking to an elderly, retired person, they speak of their longing for work and having something to do everyday. I think the answer is to realize that life is a journey. There are periods of time where you are busy and many demands are made on you. There are periods of rest where one can simply breathe. There are times where we are energetic and full of creativity. There are other times where we feel dull and uninspired. There are times where life gives you a challenge that seems overwhelming at the time. There are other days where life surprises you with an unexpected joy. When life seems like a roller coaster ride, hang on! There will also be days where life is a gentle ride down a lazy river when the sun is shining and the air is cool and the flowers are growing. Take life one day at a time. The great days will remain with you forever in your memories. The bad days will eventually seem like a bump in the road.

No comments: