Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Death Of A Friend

Yesterday was a very long day. I was sad all day and I am still sad this morning. Shortly after arriving at work yesterday I became aware of the sudden and unexpected death of a former co-worker who has remained my friend for a number of years. It was the kind of news that makes you feel like the wind has been knocked out of you. My friend was on my mind all day and most of the day I was in the office in body only as I worked in a daze. The circumstances of his death were tragic and they add to the grief. I still remember the first time we met. He was introduced to me at a staff meeting for the department I worked in at the time. I took one look at him and thought, "We'll never hit it off". He came across to me as a typical corporate geek. Little did I know at the time how much I had misjudged him. He had graduated from Law school but never became a lawyer. When I asked why, he dryly replied, "I could never pass a bar". Not long afterwards we got to know one another better as he suffered through the death of his wife. Life got increasing more difficult for him after that but He seemed to deal with it as well as anyone could. After he left my company he moved to another city but we remained in regular contact. He's been receiving my daily thoughts for years and would occasionally send me a note telling me how much he liked them or how appropriate some thoughts were for him that day. He had an off the wall sense of humor that was much like my own. Even though we weren't part of one another's life on a daily basis I feel a real sense of loss and sadness. He was a wonderful person and many people will miss him terribly. The world is a little more empty without him in it. Later today I hope to attend a memorial service for him. Please keep his children and family in your prayers.

No comments: