Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Inter Office Migrant Farm Worker

Today I have moved for what seems like the 100th time. In reality I think this is the 3rd time I've had to move in approximately 18 months. The work culture in which I live is very nomadic. Sometimes I feel like a migrant farm worker. We are always growing and changing and as a result, work areas and locations evolve and change as well. After the first few moves I learned to travel light. With each subsequent move I have lightened my load even more. After a few more moves I will very likely be able to get all my personal possessions into a small back pack. I'm even considering bringing my hiking stick into the office. If I could go back and track all the moves I have made in the last 22 years it would very likely be equal to hiking the Appalachian Trail several times. I do not like moving and I think I am not alone. What upsets me most is my own reaction to it. It's really not that big of a deal but I sometimes get upset about it and I know that is petty. It is further proof that I am a long way from the kind of detachment taught in Buddhism. I am very attached to my personal space. For the last six months I have worked in what I considered the best working environment that I've ever had. It was very quiet and I had a rather solitary location back in a corner near a window. It was everything an introvert loves. My new location is not likely to be quiet, it's no where near a window, and it certainly isn't solitary. I share all of this with you to show you that I can be just as petty and complaining as anyone, perhaps even more so. I know that I will get over it in a day or two and everything will be fine. I will just have to re-adjust once again, focus on my inner quiet and solitude, get into a new routine, and find out where the men's room is located. The law of averages gives me hope. It is just a matter of time before I move again and with any luck I will land in a better spot.

Keep your mouth shut! As long as you have a job, who cares where you sit!
-My wife

Serenity now! Serenity now!
-Frank Costanza (George's dad on Seinfeld)

No comments: