Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Why Life And Work Can Be Exhausting For Me

Last week a friend suggested I revisit the Myers-Briggs test. This is a personality type indicator test that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I took the test again and confirmed what I have know for quite a few years. I am an Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiver or INFP. After taking this test again I had something of an epiphany. It wasn't a completely new insight. I think it was something I already knew about myself but it really hit home this time. I think I finally realize why I find so much of life, and especially work, exhausting. My personality is in conflict with most of the ways of the world. I am an Introvert in an extroverted, ego driven world. I am an Intuitive in a "show me the data" work environment. I make judgements based on my personal values rather than someone else's rules. Finally, I prefer my life open ended and not bound by other people's schedules or deadlines. I am not suggesting that the whole world change to meet my personal needs, although that would be very nice. That will never happen. It's just that I realize more than ever that I spend a lot of energy living outside my personal comfort zone. I will still have to do this on a regular basis. I guess the epiphany for me is the realization of how much energy this demands of me. Some of you will feel this in different ways. Those of you with a personality type opposite of mine thrive on what drives me crazy. Perhaps you can't live without human interaction. Maybe you aren't able to make decisions without data. You wouldn't dream of breaking the rules. A life without dates, times, and deadlines is unimaginable to you. We are all different in how we deal with life and it's demands. If you are unfamiliar with the Myers-Briggs and wonder about your type, I have included a link to an on-line test that you can take and score yourself. It may answer a lot of questions you have about your own behavior and preferences.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp.

There's been a death in my family. After many years of faithful service, my washing machine succumbed to multiple health issues and old age. This machine has been a true friend and cleaned many thousands of loads of my family's laundry. We were very close. He leaves behind a dryer that will likely go soon now that he is gone. The funeral will be on Saturday morning. The burial will be private. Expressions of sympathy should be sent to your local Laundromat.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

ISFJ -- nothing surprising there, either!

Peace.