Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Calamity And My Eventual Demise

My insurance representative came to my home yesterday to meet with my wife and me. It's always a thought provoking experience to discuss your own demise. I've never been one to worry much about my life. At the same time I do think about the unexpected and my personal mortality. I have made reasonable plans to be prepared for whatever may happen to me. Like most things in life it is all about balance. You don't want to be fixated on the possibility of some calamity that might happen to you or the inevitable death we will all experience sooner or later. I try to live a life of faith that my legitimate needs will be met and so far this has been true. As I have mentioned before I always seem to get what I need. At the same time I do not live only for myself. It is a good thing to prepare for the unexpected and to be prepared for the future even if it's not your future. Along with some planning and preparation for a future that has not yet been revealed to me, I try to enjoy every moment of every day. None of us know the number of our days. It is important to enjoy all of life everyday. Excessive worry is a waste of time and energy. Nothing was ever gained from worry. Worry simply drains you of energy that could be spent in more positive ways. The Dalai Lama says that the energy spent worrying could be used to find a solution to your problem. Anyway, my wife worries enough for the both of us.

This is about all I have on my mind. My brain is dulled by the heat. When I went to bed last night around 11:00 PM it was still 88 degrees. The night air was very heavy and wet with humidity. All the allergens in the air must have creeped into my house last night. My eyes felt like they were covered in Vaseline jelly. Even now in this early morning hour it is already 80 degrees. I am not a big fan of the heat. The next three days the expected air temperature is 100 degrees. It is not a dry heat. Heat makes me lethargic and dull. My brain is best served chilled with a hint of snow.

Here's Zen saying about snow. Hopefully this will cool you off a bit.

No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.

No comments: