Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Celebrate Life

Yesterday was Tuesday so that meant I picked up Chloe at the daycare. When we are together I am a three year old like her. Some of you may ask, "So how is that different from the way you act any other day"? What I mean is that I try to put myself on her level. I try to encourage and join in with her sense of wonder. I let her be the leader. I really have no choice. She demands to be the leader. The only time I act like an adult is when she might hurt herself. Last night we jumped and danced and ate Frosted Flakes out of the box. We danced because she said, "Pa Paw, let's have a concert"! I introduced her to Bob Dylan. Guess what? Chloe ain't gonna work on Maggie's Farm no more! You Bob Dylan fans know what I am talking about.

It is Derby week in Louisville. What's that like? Around here it is kind of like the week before Christmas. I can tell that most of the office is not in the mood to work. Are they ever? Across the street in Waterfront Park is an all day party. People wander over there during their lunch. They are less enthusiastic about returning to the office and they wander back slowly. It is a good thing to have holy days and holidays and special times like the Kentucky Derby. I concur with the Dalai Lama when he says that all people were born to be happy. It is a good thing to celebrate life. I can't remember who said it but someone put forth the idea that God will be just as upset with those who failed to enjoy all the good things that life has to offer as much as He might be with the bad things done by people. I have lived 56 years so far. When I look back it is all the good things I remember most. Most of the bad things that have ever happened to me seem like bumps in the road now. The good memories are always fresh and on a boring day where I might get lost in the occasional daydream, they visit me like a cool breeze on a hot summer day

No comments: