Monday, February 26, 2007

Happy Birthday, Nick!

Whew, it's already Monday again! By the end of the week we will be in the month of March!

My granddaughter, Chloe, didn't spend the night this weekend but I did see her twice at the beginning and end of the weekend. We were together at dinner Friday night with the rest of my family. Throughout the meal she kept looking at me saying, "I want to drive"! I had no idea what she was talking about. Finally, I said, "Show me"! Her little hand grabbed my hand and the next thing I know we were in the video game arcade. She wanted to play one of the games where you drove cars. I couldn't believe it. She's not even three years old and already wanting to play video games. I've never quite gotten the whole video game obsession. When I was a boy they didn't exist. We actually had to go outside and play with little but our imagination.

Today is my youngest son's 25th birthday. I can't believe that Nick is 25. One of my best memories, in retrospect, is a six month period of unemployment when he was around two years old. I stayed home and took care of him full time. He was about the age that Chloe is now. At that time his older brother, Chloe's father, was six years old and beginning the first grade. Nick, Mikey(he doesn't like to be called Mikey now), and I would get up, get dressed and then Nick and I would walk Mikey to the school bus stop. After Mikey was headed for school, I would put Nick on my shoulders and we would walk back home. I was a pretty good house husband in those days. Money was tight due to my unemployment but life was good in many other ways. That time together probably has a lot to do with the closeness that Nick and I now have.

Happy Birthday, Nick! Don't forget to clean up the kitchen!

No comments: