Friday, January 05, 2007

Resistance Is Futile?

Is it January? Here in Kentucky you would think it's spring. The nights and early morning are cool but the days are warm. This morning it is 65 degrees! I wouldn't be surprised to seeing buds on the trees or flowers sprouting from the ground.

A few months ago I received several books of poetry from a friend. I haven't made much progress reading them. Like most working people I am too tired on work nights and too busy on weekends. Well, I finally started reading one of the books last night. I was intrigued with the title. It's called "I Heard God Laughing". It's a collection of poems by the Persian poet Hafiz. Persia was an ancient country located in what is now modern day Iran and Iraq. Anyway, here's poem that I liked.

I wish I could show you,
When you are lonely or in darkness,
The astonishing light of your own being!
-Hafiz

I have always been a Star Trek fan. Mr Spock, in particular, was a favorite character of mine. In fact, I cried when he died in "The Wrath of Khan" movie. Thank goodness he was resurrected in "The Search for Spock". In later Star Trek shows a new alien threat was introduced that was even worse than the Klingons. They were the Borg. They flew in spaceships that were cubes. In time, they turned out to be my favorite bad guys in the annals of space travel. The Borg were mostly machine beings but had some biological parts. Their goal was to assimilate all other species. When they were attacking another species, they would say with their group mind, "We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated". Star Trek is fictional but sometimes I think the Borg are real and they are disguised as the world. Sometimes it feels like something is trying to assimilate all of us into a collective mind in a generic world. This goes against my grain. I don't want to be part of a group mind or a generic world. I will always be resistant to the group mind and any attempts to make me less than I am. I want my own mind with my own thoughts. I don't want a generic world. I want diversity and choice and variety. I truly believe, as Henry David Thoreau says, "Some people march to the beat of a different drummer." I reserve the right to be unique and so should you. Be different. Be unique. Be yourself. Don't let the world assimilate you. Well, I hear my drum beating. See you soon.

No comments: