Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Workplace

As I was merging onto the interstate this morning it seemed like I was entering a river of life. The red glow from the thousands of brake lights and the weaving nature of the road itself seemed like the bloodstream of a very large being and that being is the city. Soon enough I was part of the ebb and flow. I was carried along until I reached my destination. I don't admit it too often but secretly I sometimes enjoy coming to work. Yes, I often daydream about a time when I no longer have the need or commitment to work. The reality of that daydream is not as far away as it used to be. These days, however, when the river of life drops me off at my office, I am feeling pretty good. I park on the roof of my parking garage. When I get out of my car, I have a great view. It is a new day. I pause for a moment to take in the beauty of the morning sky. The morning air is refreshing. The sometimes cold walk through the park is invigorating. Admittedly, when I arrive in the building I am occasionally frustrated with the wait for an elevator. It is a good moment to practice patience. When I get to my floor I am happy. I am working with a great group of people. The floor is warm and inviting. Even though it is a workplace, it is also a very comfortable place to be, at least for me. A person I interviewed for a job yesterday asked me what kind of work environment we had. I responded that as a Supervisor I tried to create an environment that I wanted to be in. Assuming we all are here because we need to make a living and support our families, I believe everyone else wants the same thing as me in terms of environment. Who wants to work in a place that you hate or dread being in everyday? If I have to work...and I do...I want to be in an enjoyable place where the work gets done but people are smiling and laughter sometimes fills the air. The workplace is part of the stream of life so I do my best to make it a healthy place.

No comments: