Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tis The Season To Be Busy

I think I met myself yesterday. I don't know if I was coming or going. It was one of those days where you are very busy but feel like you accomplished very little. I tried to be focused. I tried to be where I was and to do whatever I was doing, but Mindfulness failed me today. Not only is this the week before Christmas but my entire department is moving to another floor next Thursday. I just returned from our new area after assigning everyone new work spaces. In these kinds of circumstances I remember the words of Abraham Lincoln. He said, "You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time". We'll see soon how perceptive and wise President Lincoln was.

I received a very nice gift card from my staff. It was for Border's Books. This store has everything essential for an introvert's happiness. You can buy books, CD's, DVD's, and coffee. As Robert Fripp once said, "Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy". If you also throw in some good music in the background, I'm totally out of control and someone is likely to call the police!

In the last few weeks I went to the theater to see Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" and I saw the new film called "The Nativity". Dicken's story is timeless and, of course, the Nativity is what Christmas is really all about for most people. This week my family watched "A Christmas Story" and "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation". The story of Ralphie and his family seems very much like my own childhood. However, the Griswolds seem more like my adult life. All of these views of Christmas have something to offer. Christmas is many things to many people.

No comments: