Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Time

Yesterday time moved at the pace of a melting glacier before global warming. At one point in the afternoon I went to the park outside my office and considered sticking my head in the fountain to wake myself up. The day shouldn't have been a surprise. I woke up at 4:30 AM and then couldn't get back to sleep until five minutes before the alarm went off. Upon rising I realized it was raining and the rain fell steadily throughout the morning. If I ever get to retire I am giving away all of my alarm clocks and I will rely purely on sundials. The really ironic thing is that I am going to the monastery for a long weekend on Friday. While there I will voluntarily rise at 3:00 AM to chant with the monks. I hope to spend a lot of time in silence and solitude. If you want to read a good book about what it's like to spend a week in a Trappist monastery, I recommend "Finding a Heart for God" by Dianne Aprile.

No comments: